Bugling Merit Badge
Requirements for the Bugling merit badge:
- Give a brief history of the bugle.
- Do the following:
- Explain and demonstrate how the bugle makes sound, and explain how the bugle is related to other brass wind instruments.
- Compose a bugle call for your troop or patrol to signal a common group activity, such as assembling for mealtime or striking a campsite. Play the call that you have composed before your unit or patrol.
- Sound 10 of the following bugle calls: 'First Call', 'Reveille', 'Assembly', 'Mess', 'Drill', 'Fatigue', 'Officers', 'Recall', 'Church', 'Swimming', 'Fire', 'Retreat', 'To the Colors', 'Call to Quarters', and 'Taps
- Explain the use of each of the calls you performed.
- Explain how to care for, clean, and maintain a bugle.
- Serve as bugler in your troop for three months.
NOTE: A bugle, trumpet, or cornet may be used to meet these requirements.
May 26, 2013 - William Earle Rettew, II, PE
I am an Eagle Scout 1963 (36 merit badges) and was a member of Troop 2 in Greenville. I was a counselor at Camp Old Indian for three years. I memorized all the bugle calls and obtained the merit badge while at camp. However, these calls are not clear in my memory and wondered if there is a CD available with the calls. Surprisingly I still have my bugle and would love to get back up to speed with it.Jun 04, 2013 - Eli Morales
William, I am an asst. Scoutmaster and a 21 year veteran public school band director. I recently got my youngest into scouting and I will be preparing to teach the bugling merit badge. If you have an iphone and/or know about itunes, you can buy "The Columbia River Players", album name is Liberty Call: American Bugle Calls. Picture has the American Flag with a trumpet held by a hand with the words Liberty Call as the header. It has 44 bugle calls including all 15 of the required calls for the merit badge for about $5 and change. Good deal. Clear sounding calls. Shoot me an email for more info at email@example.comJul 18, 2013 - CJs Mom
I know it was a year ago that someone asked about the merit badge book (or phamphlet), but this still may be helpful. The requirements for bugling are in the back of the music merit badge book (at least the music book I purchased last week at my local Scout Store). I read somewhere they had combined the 2 merit badges for a while, then decided to keep them separate. The merit badge book I have says music and bugling on it. My Scout Store did not have a difinitive answer for me when I was looking for the separate books and I found the bugling info in the back of the music book. I have a 7th grader that will be working on both the music and bugling merit badges in the very near future so both books at one price was nice. Hope this helps someone else.Nov 19, 2013 - Jeff S.
I've found all of the bugle calls are available to listen to on youtube.com. Just look them up by name: Bugle Call- Reveille, First Call, etc.Mar 08, 2016 - West
Can a baritone bugle (like they use in marching bands) be used?Mar 10, 2016 - Scouter Paul
@West - A trumpet, cornet, or bugle can be used. A baritone bugle is a bugle using lip movement to make sound like those, so it should work.
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Scouts