Music Merit Badge
Requirements for the Music merit badge:
- Sing or play a simple song or hymn chosen by your counselor using good technique, phrasing, tone, rhythm, and dynamics. Read all the signs and terms of the score.
- Name the five general groups of musical instruments. Create an illustration that shows how tones are generated and how instruments produce sound.
- Do TWO of the following:
- Attend a live performance, or listen to three hours of recordings from any two of the following musical styles: blues, jazz, classical, country, bluegrass, ethnic, gospel, musical theater, opera. Describe the sound of the music and the instruments used. Identify the composers or songwriters, the performers, and the titles of the pieces you heard. If it was a live performance, describe the setting and the reaction of the audience. Discuss your thoughts about the music.
- Interview an adult member of your family about music. Find out what the most popular music was when he or she was your age. Find out what his or her favorite music is now, and listen to three of your relative's favorite tunes with him or her. How do those favorites sound to you? Had you ever heard any of them? Play three of your favorite songs for your relative, and explain why you like these songs. Ask what he or she thinks of your favorite music.
- Serve for six months as a member of a school band, choir, or other organized musical group, or perform as a soloist in public six times.
- List five people who are important in the history of American music and explain to your counselor why they continue to be influential. Include at least one composer, one performer, one innovator, and one person born more than 100 years ago.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Teach three songs to a group of people. Lead them in singing the songs, using proper hand motions.
- Compose and write the score for a piece of music of 12 measures or more, and play this music on an instrument.
- Make a traditional instrument and learn to play it.
- Define for your counselor intellectual property (IP). Explain how to properly obtain and share recorded music.
Mar 23, 2021 - Eli
If you play an instrument this is easy to earn.
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Scouts
Scouter Paul on Wild Survival mb
Jeff on Wild Survival mb
Corey jedi on Dumb Doctor skit
Scouter Paul on Cit. in Nation MB
Laurie on Cit. in Nation MB
Scouter Paul on Ceremonies
Jay Dahl on Ceremonies
Mike Dombroski on Carpentry MB
Peter Ramsay on Books Never Written
Jay Chaffin on Chicken songMore Comments...