Firem'n Chit Award
This certification grants a Scout the right to carry fire lighting devices and build campfires.
There is a wallet card and patch available.
This is a "temporary" patch so it can be displayed centered on the right pocket.
To earn this certification, the Scout must show their Scout leader, or someone designated by their leader, an understanding of the responsibility to do the following:
- I have read and understand use and safety rules from the Scouts Handbook.
- I will build a campfire only when necessary and when I have the necessary permits (regulations vary by locality).
- I will minimize campfire impacts or use existing fire lays consistent with the principles of Leave No Trace. I will check to see that all flammable material is cleared at least 5 feet in all directions from fire (total 10 feet).
- I will safely use and store fire-starting materials.
- I will see that fire is attended to at all times.
- I will make sure that water and/or shovel is readily available. I will promptly report any wildfire to the proper authorities.
- I will use the cold-out test to make sure the fire is cold out and will make sure the fire lay is cleaned before I leave it.
- I follow the Outdoor Code, the Guide to Safe Scouting, and the principles of Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly!
The Scout's "Firem'n Rights" can be taken away if the scout fails in these responsibilities.
(In some troops, a corner is removed from the wallet card for minor infractions. When all four corners are gone, the scout loses the fireman rights.)
There are two older versions of the card in circulation and still valid:
See this Progress Form.
Click one to vote:
Aug 12, 2016 - Mark
I cannot find any info on whether this is a Boy Scout only item or if I can have my Webelos earn this.
Aug 12, 2016 - Scouter Paul
Aug 24, 2016 - Robbie
Sep 06, 2016 - Jenny
Sep 07, 2016 - Scouter Paul
Feb 28, 2017 - Nancy San Jose
Mar 01, 2017 - Scouter Paul
Oct 22, 2018 - Theresa
Nov 07, 2019 - Cubmaster Albert
Under the 4th bullet of, “Activity 1: Fire Without Matches (Requirement 1B)” the Webelos Leader handbook states, “Review the Firem’n Chit Award information (see Meeting 3 Resources). Do not award the card or patch, but tell them this is something they can earn when they join a troop.”
The confusion is that it does not state this again (later in the book) under the “Meeting 3 Resources, Activity 1” section which it probably should.
Hope that helps clear things up!
Albert M. Padilla
Cubmaster - Pack 12
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Scouts