Antarctic Scout Award
This program may not be available year to year. Check with your council or national headquarters for the latest news.
The Antarctic Scout joins a team of scientists conducting research during the Antarctic summer. This assignment adds value to the research team by providing assistance in accomplishing the team's missions. As a support member, the scout assists the scientists in the daily activities required to successfully conduct their field research projects. This includes any task from cooking and camp chores to scientific analysis of collected samples.
Historically, the Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts have alternated years sending an Eagle Scout or Gold Award winner to Antarctica.
These are some past Antarctic Boy Scouts:
- Benjamin Pope, 2005-2006 Antarctic Scout
- Brad Range, 2003-2004 Antarctic Scout
- Tim Brox, 2001-2002 Antarctic Scout
These are the requirements for candidates for the Boy Scouts of America participation in the National Science Foundation and BSA scientific project to Antarctica.
- The candidate must be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- The candidate must have had a minimum of three years' membership in the BSA.
- The candidate must be a high-school graduate and must be at least age 17 1/2 and not yet 21.
- The candidate must have earned the Eagle Scout rank.
- The applicant must be available for training during the month of September.
Candidates need to submit an Application Form to the BSA national headquarters before February 1.
The BSA no longer has information posted about this award or program. The medal and knot are not official BSA items and are not permitted to be worn on the official BSA uniform. Local councils may allow them to be worn.
Click one to vote:
Apr 03, 2013 - Yukon Jack
Oct 28, 2013 - Yukon Jack
Mar 31, 2014 - Josh
Sep 05, 2015 - Yukon Jack
Nov 04, 2016 - Charles Boone
Nov 04, 2016 - Scouter Paul
So, right now, the answer is NO, but... fingers crossed.
Dec 15, 2020 - Jeffrey Bozanic
We have a Crew going down to Antarctica in 2021. You might find this page of interest.
Jun 11, 2021 - Rennie Holt
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
Just for Fun: Socializing merit badge
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Scouts