Law Merit Badge
Revised January 2019
Requirements for the Law merit badge:
- Define "law." Tell some of its sources. Describe functions it serves.
- Discuss two of the following:
- The Justinian Code, The Code of Hammurabi, and the Magna Carta.
- The development of the jury system.
- Two famous trials in history.
- Tell what civil law is; tell what criminal law is. Tell the main differences between them. Give examples of each.
- Ask five people (not more than one from your immediate family) about the role of law enforcement officers in our society. Discuss their answers with them. Go to a law enforcement officer in your neighborhood and ask him about his responsibilities and duties. Report your findings.
- Tell about several laws that were passed to protect the consumer and the seller. Tell about several organizations that provide help to consumers and sellers.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Attend a session of a civil or criminal court. Write 250 words or more on what you saw.
- Plan and conduct a mock trial with your troop or school class. After the trial is over, discuss it with the group.
- Arrange a visit with a lawyer who works for a business, bank, title company, or government agency. Find out his or her duties and responsibilities. Report what you learned.
- Explain the requirements for becoming a lawyer in your state. Describe how judges are selected in your state.
- Make a list of 15 jobs which deal with some aspect of law or legal processes. Tell which you prefer. Why?
- Tell where people can go to obtain the help of a lawyer if they are unable to pay for one. Tell what you can do if you can afford a lawyer but do not know of any in your area.
- Discuss with your counselor the importance of TWO of the following areas of the law that have recently emerged and are still developing:
- Environmental law
- Computers and the Internet
- Copyright and the Internet
- Privacy law
- International law
- Ask a Question - Add Content
Just for Fun: Socializing merit badge
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Scouts
Kelly Neal on Im a Nut song
christy on First Aid MB
Cooper on Dog Care MB
Alfio Vasta on In The Dark skit
Leo Belman on Caissons song
Linda C on Mine Hand song
Blanca garcia on Clove Hitch activity
Scouter Paul on Scouting 4 Food
Royce on Scouting 4 FoodMore Comments...