When teaching Outdoor Leadership Skills for new scoutmasters, I try to drive home the Buddy System. I often say that I've not heard of TWO scout getting lost, it's always ONE that gets in trouble.
Now, I can't say that any more. Here are reports of two scouts, an adult leader, and even an entire crew of scouts getting lost in the past few days.
As you prepare to enjoy the outdoors this summer, please take time to really prepare
Some important reminders:
- Stay together - don't split a crew to take separate routes.
- Navigation - everyone has and knows how to use a compass. Everyone can tell direction without a compass.
- Buddy System - no one, not even leaders, go off on their own.
- Be Observant - continually notice weather, terrain, and crew members.
- Experience - know the area and have experienced adults before taking scouts on an adventure.
- 10 Essentials - everyone needs a small pack with important gear, just in case.
In the News:
- Two Scouts Lost - WA, adults let two scouts take a separate route from the rest of the group and they got lost.
- Two Scouts Missing - CA, scouts wander from camp.
- 23 Scouts Lost - WA, an entire group of scouts and adults take a wrong turn and are lost overnight.
- Leader Gets Lost - WA, scout leader from MN spends night alone on Mt. St. Helens.
Posted: 7:44 06-27-2010 506 Previous Post Next Post
archives: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005
Site Disclosure Statement