This Award is meant for Boy Scouts.
The National Outdoor Challenge is a unit award that recognizes troops that maintain or increase the amount of outdoor activity when compared to the previous year.
The recognition is a streamer for the unit's flag.
(The actual streamer may be different than this image)
With the release of this award, the National Camping award has been discontinued.
To earn this award, the unit states on the application that it has:
- Developed an annual plan for the current year.
- Conducted 10 outdoor trips or activities with at least 50 percent of the registered youth participating OR increased the number of outdoor trips or activities compared to the previous year.
- Attended long-term resident camp or a local/national high-adventure experience of at least six days/five nights.
- Conducted at least one outing with a Webelos Scout den.
- Earned at least one outdoors-related* merit badge per Scout.
- Conducted at least one Leave No Trace program during the calendar year for a minimum of 50 percent of the members.
Note: Outdoors-related merit badges are: Backpacking, Camping, Canoeing, Climbing, Cooking, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, First Aid, Fish and Wildlife Management, Fishing, Fly-Fishing, Forestry, Hiking, Lifesaving, Orienteering, Pioneering, Rowing, Scuba, Snow Sports, Soil and Water Conservation, Swimming, Water Sports, Whitewater.
The unit leader completes the National Outdoor Challenge application
and submits it to the local council camping committee.
Mar 12, 2013 - Lowell Stokes
My Unit completed the requirements for the National Outdoor Challenge Unit Award, and the council seems to be having trouble identifying how to proceed with actually awarding it. Apparently, this is a newer award, and they cant identify how to submit it. Has anyone else had this problem and can you tell me what the correct procedure is? Thx, LS
Mar 13, 2013 - Scouter Paul
Lowell - You complete the application form, take it your council Scout Shop, and buy the ribbon. The award is at least 3 years old.
Follow Me, Boys
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content - scout software
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America