Cub Scout Conservation Good Turn Award
Conservation has always been an integral part of the program of the Boy Scouts of America. Scouts have rendered distinguished public service by helping to conserve wildlife, energy, forests, soil, and water. Past generations of Scouts have been widely recognized for undertaking conservation Good Turn action projects in their local communities.
The Conservation Good Turn is an opportunity for Cub Scout packs to join with conservation or environmental organizations (federal, state, local, or private) to carry out a conservation Good Turn in their home communities. Working together in the local community, the unit and the agency plan the details and establish the date, time and location for carrying out the project.
Conservation projects should involve the entire Cub Scout pack - scouts, leaders, and family members. Hands-on projects help Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts realize that everyone can do things to care for the environment. Cub Scouts and Webelos Scouts participating in the Conservation Good Turn can also meet some advancement requirements.
Agencies to contact for project ideas:
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Forest Service
- Bureau of Land Management
- National Park Service
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- local City Works department
- Audobon Society
- Trout Unlimited
Some suggested projects could be:
- Plant grasses, trees, shrubs, and ground cover to stop soil erosion.
- As a den or pack, adopt a park and keep it clean.
- Organize or participate in a recycling program.
- Participate in a beach or waterfront cleanup. Record the items collected and determine the possible harmful effects to wildlife.
- Establish a nature trail, plant vegetation, or carry out other needed projects as requested by the camp ranger at a local BSA camp property.
The patch can be worn as a temporary insignia or on the scout's patch vest.
Pick up an application form from your local council office or
use this Application Form
Click one to vote:
Feb 28, 2013 - Ashley Wilcock
Feb 28, 2013 - Scouter Paul
Feb 28, 2013 - Yukon Jack
Mar 13, 2013 - Ashley
Oct 05, 2013 - DL Mike
Oct 05, 2013 - Scouter Paul
Oct 06, 2013 - Matt
Nov 13, 2013 - Jeff
Jan 14, 2014 - Jeff
Jan 14, 2014 - Scouter Paul
May 13, 2014 - Dustin
May 13, 2014 - Scouter Paul
Jun 03, 2014 - DL Wayne
Jun 04, 2014 - Scouter Paul
Oct 05, 2015 - Trisha Morgan
Oct 05, 2015 - Scouter Paul
Oct 07, 2015 - Jennifer
Jul 05, 2016 - Jessica
Jul 06, 2016 - Scouter Paul
Jun 27, 2017 - Deana
Jun 27, 2017 - Yukon Jack
Oct 11, 2021 - Kim
Oct 12, 2021 - Scouter Paul
- Ask a Question - Add Content
Just for Fun: Socializing merit badge
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Scouts