Painting Merit Badge
Requirements for the Painting merit badge:
- Explain the proper safety procedures to follow when preparing surfaces and applying coatings.
- Do the following:
- Explain three ways that coatings can improve a surface.
- Explain where you would apply enamel paint, flat paint, wood stain, and varnish, and explain the importance of sheen.
- Tell why each is best for these uses.
- Prepare and paint two different surfaces using patching material, caulking, and the proper primers and topcoats. Suggested projects include an interior or exterior wall, a door, a piece of furniture, a concrete wall or floor , a porch rail, or a fence. Your counselor must preapprove the projects.
- Prepare and paint an item using harmonizing colors that you have selected using the color wheel in this book.
- Show the right way to use, clean, maintain, and store painting equipment.
- Explain the importance of ladder safety, personal hygiene, and the use of personal protective equipment when painting.
- Explain some of the environmental and health issues concerning removing paint, applying paint, and discarding old paint.
- Find out about career opportunities in the painting craft. Discuss the training and experience required, and explain why this profession might interest you.
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com