See winter camping tips
for general advice for cold weather camping.
But, when it's really cold, like 20F below zero, there are more weird things that happen and stuff for which you might not be prepared:
- Shock cords in tent poles freeze and lose their stretch
- Lips freeze to metal spoons and tin cups
- Bananas and carrots make good hammers
- Moisture escaping from sleeping bags freezes into an ice shell
- Propane stoves stop working
- Water bottles freeze solid and crack open
These are all things experienced last weekend by our scouts as 7 of them earned their council Zero Hero awards.
Posted: 5:28 02-04-2009 392 Previous Post Next Post
archives: 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005
Site Disclosure Statement