This Award is meant for Boy Scouts.
This certification grants a Scout the right to carry matches and build campfires.
There is a wallet card and patch available.
To earn this certification, the Scout must show his Scout leader, or someone designated by his leader, that he understands his responsibility to do the following:
- Read and understand fire use and safety rules from the Boy Scout Handbook.
- Secure necessary permits (regulations vary by locality).
- Clear all flammable vegetation at least 5 feet in all directions from fire (total 10 feet).
- Attend to fire at all times.
- Keep fire-fighting tools (water and/or shovel) readily available.
- Leave fire when it is cold out.
- Subscribe to the Outdoor Code and Leave-No-Trace.
The Scout's 'Firem'n Rights' can be taken from him if he fails in his responsibility.
(In our troop, we tear off a corner from the wallet card for any minor infraction. When all four corners are gone, the scout loses his fireman rights.)
There are two older versions of the card in circulation and still valid: