This Award is meant for Boy Scouts.
A boy scout that is serving as a den chief wears the Blue/Gold den chief braid. If serving as a Webelos den chief, he wears the Blue/Gold/Red braids. Once he has earned the Den Chief Service award, he can wear the Red/White/Blue den chief award braids. All braids are worn on the left shoulder, under the epaulet and under the arm.
- Serve the pack faithfully for 1 full year.
- Attend a den chief training (if available within year of service) OR be trained by the assistant Cubmaster and den leader.
- Know the purposes of Cub Scouting.
- Help Cub Scouts achieve the purposes of Cub Scouting.
- Be the activities assistant in den meetings.
- Set a good example by attitude and uniforming.
- Be a friend to the boys in the den.
- Take part in weekly meetings.
- Assist the den at the monthly pack program.
- Meet as needed with the adult members of the den, pack, troop, team, or crew.
- Complete FOUR of these projects:
- Serve as a staff member of a Cub Scout special event, such as a Scouting show, bicycle rodeo, etc.
- Serve as a staff member of a Cub Scout Day camp or resident camp.
- Advance one rank.
- Assist in recruiting three new Cub Scouts.
- Assist three Webelos Scouts to join a troop.
- Help to plan and carry out a joint pack-troop activity.
- Recommend to your Scoutmaster, Varsity Scout Coach, or Venturing Advisor another Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, or Venturer to be a den chief.
Webelos Den Chief
There is no official form for this award, but you can use the Den Chief Service Record
from the Den Chief Handbook
Oct 14, 2014 - Mickie Hammel
I heard that the Den Chief can only wear EITHER the Den Chief patch, OR the braid, but not both. Do you know if that is true? Please advise.
Oct 16, 2014 - Joe
@Mickie Hammel The Guide to Awards and Insignia does not specify either way.
I would say yes they can wear both because the patch only shows that they are a den cheif, the cords help represent what kind of den they are over (the Wolf and Bear cords are different than the Webelos cords).
I do know as well that after they have completed the requirements for the Den Cheif Service Award, that they wear both over the left shoulder. This award is challenging to get and at some points, I thought it was harder than my Eagle.
Oct 19, 2014 - Mickie Hammel
Thank you Joe,
Since writing this we have found instructions to wear the two together in the Den Chief Guide book. I'm glad!
Thanks for your help.
Follow Me, Boys
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content - scout software
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America