Leatherwork Merit Badge
Requirements for the Leatherwork merit badge:
- Do the following:
- Explain to your counsel the hazards you are most likely to encounter while using leatherwork tools and materials, and what you should do to anticipate, help prevent, mitigate, or lessen these hazards.
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while working with leather, including minor cuts and scratches, puncture wounds, ingested poisoning, and reactions from exposure to chemicals such as dyes, cements, and finishes used in leatherworking.
- Explain to your counselor
- Where leather comes from
- What kinds of hides are used to make leather
- What are five types of leather
- What are the best uses for each type of leather
- Make one or more articles of leather that use at least five of the following steps:
- Pattern layout and transfer
- Cutting leather
- Punching holes
- Carving or stamping surface designs.
- Applying dye or stain and finish to the project.
- Assembly by lacing or stitching
- Setting snaps and rivets
- Dressing edges
- Recondition or show that you can take proper care of your shoes, a baseball glove, a saddle, furniture or other articles of leather.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Learn about the commercial tanning process. Report about it to your merit badge counselor.
- Tan the skin of a small animal. Describe the safety precautions you will take and the tanning method that you used.
- Braid or plait an article out of leather or vinyl lace.
- Visit a leather-related business. This could be a leathercraft supply company, a tannery, a leather goods or shoe factory, or a saddle shop. Report on your visit to your counselor.
Oct 06, 2015 - bill soper
iwould like to know when did the boy scouts make any leather medallions? i have what looks like leather be prepared large looks like leather it is very o ld cant seem to find it?
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Boys
Teresa on Nova award
Teresa on Young Eagle post
Scouter Paul on Young Eagle post
Arthur Budd on Davy Crockett song
citra pandiangan on Traveling Angels story
Bob on Personal Management m.b.
Bjorn Wang on Young Eagle post
Van Donley on Young Eagle post
Jennifer on Conservation award
Ron on Young Eagle postMore Comments...