Some memories in my head from camp last week that I'd better jot down before I forget...
- For the Fishing merit badge, Jimmy filleted a fish for the first time. A fillet the size of a half dollar from a big sunfish isn't too bad.
- Jonathan left his sunfish hanging in a tree to fillet later and it was a black mass of flies when he came back. Luckily, the racoons took care of it for him.
- Chris swam for 90 minutes without stopping and completed a mile swim, now that's perseverence.
- Jack returned his camp knife after every meal until he earned his Totin Chip - he only used the camp knife for the spoon and fork on it for meals.
- I lost count of how many foot stool basketry projects there were around camp.
- Brandon got his annual knife cut.
- Chris and Jack are still magnets for dirt.The only time I got to talk with my older son was late one night taking garbage to the dumpster. The younger son was my shadow in camp making sure I knew everything that was going on.
Some things to remember:
- Fire is fun.
- Wood is made for chopping and cutting.
- Yelling and screaming at racoons never gets old.
- Rain on Monday is forgotten by Friday.
- Boys notice everything you do.
- There are a surplus of cooks and a shortage of dishwashers in the world.
- That first merit badge is awful special.
- The SPL is still a boy and needs to have fun.
- Stories are more important than s'mores around a campfire.
- There is magic in the air, water, and dirt at camp.
Posted: 0:00 07-21-2005 26 Previous Post Next Post
archives: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005
Site Disclosure Statement