Scouts in the News
Here's a few news blips about Scouts this week. The good, the bad, and the ugly.
- Most Pathetic - troop treasurer embezzles $16K from scouts.
This is a way too common occurrence. A few tips to help prevent this sort of thing:
- Use checks rather than credit cards.
- Require monthly financial statements, verified by a second person checking the bank statements.
- Require multiple signatures on transactions.
- Require receipts for reimbursements.
- Most Inattentive - someone steals $3.5K from scouts in a cigar box left unattended.
The story says it was full of donations which should be a mistake since scouts do not solicit donations.
- Best Eagle Project - Eagle service project to create book-exchange free libraries.
When I hiked the Ice Age Trail last year, I saw a few tiny book-swap libraries in front of people's homes right on the street. This might be a cool idea for an Eagle candidate in your troop!
- Best Memorial - scouts and friends finish Eagle service project for deceased scout.
When a youth dies, there's not much we can do, but this troop paid their respects by completing his project for him.
- Silliest - scout leader hottest husband in country?
Silly, just silly. :-) Not so much the story, because he sounds like a great guy, but the whole idea of hottest husband contest.
- Best Campout - assisted living seniors.
This troop found a great way to interact with older community members in a meaningful way.
If you'd like to see your scouts "In the News" locally, check out these tips and pointers. We could all use a little good press out there.
Posted: 16:08 09-09-2014 1113
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Boys
Ismael Molina-Serrano on 2nd Class
David Boesenberg on Song Search
Allyson on Interpreter award
Donald Stachowiak on Smokey Bear song
Rhonda Cancelli on Flag ceremony
GJ on Fist Ball game
John Roemer on LNT Camporees
Beau on Square Knots
Paranginan Sianturi on Brother John song
Paranginan Sianturi on Brother John songMore Comments...