Scouts in the News
Here's a few news blips about Scouts this week. The good, the bad, and the ugly.
- Most Pathetic - troop treasurer embezzles $16K from scouts.
This is a way too common occurrence. A few tips to help prevent this sort of thing:
- Use checks rather than credit cards.
- Require monthly financial statements, verified by a second person checking the bank statements.
- Require multiple signatures on transactions.
- Require receipts for reimbursements.
- Most Inattentive - someone steals $3.5K from scouts in a cigar box left unattended.
The story says it was full of donations which should be a mistake since scouts do not solicit donations.
- Best Eagle Project - Eagle service project to create book-exchange free libraries.
When I hiked the Ice Age Trail last year, I saw a few tiny book-swap libraries in front of people's homes right on the street. This might be a cool idea for an Eagle candidate in your troop!
- Best Memorial - scouts and friends finish Eagle service project for deceased scout.
When a youth dies, there's not much we can do, but this troop paid their respects by completing his project for him.
- Silliest - scout leader hottest husband in country?
Silly, just silly. :-) Not so much the story, because he sounds like a great guy, but the whole idea of hottest husband contest.
- Best Campout - assisted living seniors.
This troop found a great way to interact with older community members in a meaningful way.
If you'd like to see your scouts "In the News" locally, check out these tips and pointers. We could all use a little good press out there.
Posted: 16:08 09-09-2014 1113
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Scouts