2009 requirementsBack to Academics & Sports page
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Requirements for the Hockey Belt Loop
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain ways to protect yourself while skating. Demonstrate how to put on all necessary safety equipment. Explain why proper safety equipment is important. You can find equipment at www.hockeymonkey.com to help demonstrate.
- Spend 30 minutes practicing the skills of hockey: skating, stick handling, passing, shooting, and checking. This may be over two different practice periods.
- Play a game of hockey while on roller skates or hockey skates.
Requirements for the Hockey Pin
Earn the Hockey belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Participate in a pack, school, or community hockey tournament or in a supervised hockey league.
- Participate in a hockey skills development clinic.
- Spend at least 30 minutes practicing the skills of hockey: skating, stick handling, passing, shooting, and checking. This may be over two different practice periods
- Draw the layout of the playing surface for a hockey game including the starting positions of the goalie, three forwards (two wings and a center), and two defenders.
- Demonstrate foul signals. Explain to your den or team why players should avoid fouls.
- Attend a high school, college, or professional hockey game.
- Demonstrate hockey terms (for example, assist, breakaway, deke, draw, pulling the goalie, and so on.) to another team member or adult.
- Learn about a U.S. Olympic hockey team and report what you learn to your den or family.
- Watch an ice resurfacing machine at an ice rink. Report to your den or family about the history of the machine commonly known as the Zamboni and how it is used.
Hockey Online Resources
- USA Hockey
- Ice Hockey
- Ice Hockey Rules
- Science of Hockey
- National Hockey League