This Activity is meant for Boy Scouts.
Good review of First Class knots and uses of each.
The goal is to suspend the log above the ground between 3 trees, using every knot once.
Give materials to each patrol and indicate which trees to use.
Give 5 minutes to plan without touching materials.
Knots to Use:
- Square Knot
- Sheet Bend
- Timber Hitch
- Clove Hitch
- Two Half-hitches
- Taught-line Hitch
Reflection afterwards to discuss success, teamwork, and cooperation.
Recommended Uses for Knots:
- Taught-line Hitch - 1st rope to tree
- Two Half-Hitches - 2nd rope to 2nd tree
- Clove Hitch - 3rd rope to 3rd tree
- Square Knot - connect 2nd and 3rd ropes
- Timber Hitch - around log
- Sheet bend - connect 3rd rope to log rope. Hang this over the bridge made by 2nd and 3rd ropes and adjust length to keep log off ground.
Alternatives to consider:
No talking or only patrol leader can talk
- Use blindfolds on all or all but patrol leader