This Activity is meant for Boy Scouts.
Combine knot tieing, lashing, and public speaking into a competition between patrols to create camp gadgets.
Print the list of items and cut them into individual slips of paper. Have the leader pull out one slip and read it.
Each team goes off and creates the described item as best they can in a set amount of time, like 20 minutes.
At the end of the time limit, everyone gathers and each team has 90 seconds to explain what knots and lashings were used, and why their design is superior.
An alternate activity would be to have each team pull out a slip and build that item. Then, when teams gather, they describe their creation and explain what knots were used and why it is a good design.
Judges can choose the best designs.
- a free-standing Flag Pole
- a stand for a 3-gallon water bucket that makes pouring water easier.
- a garbage bag holder
- a Fire Building bench - where scouts can practice flint-n-steel fire starting.
- a Chair for the Leader
- a Clothesline for rainy weekends
- a Fence around the campsite - just a section or two
- a Swing - for one scout at a time
- a Crane - to lift a 25lb. log and swing it to a different location
- a Ladder
- a Ballista or Catapult for water balloons
- a Sleeping Platform - to keep you out of the mud