This Award is meant for Boy Scouts.
The BSA Snorkeling Award Patch is not worn on the scout uniform. It is worn on the left side of the swim trunks.
Download the Snorkeling Application Form
- Pass Swimmer test. Before doing other requirements, successfully complete the BSA swimmer test: Jump feetfirst into water over the head in depth, swim 75 yards/meters in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl; then swim 25 yards/meters using an easy, resting backstroke. The 100 yards/meters must be swum continuously and include at least one sharp turn. After completing the swim, rest by floating.
- Explain buddy system. Discuss the importance of the buddy system in all aquatics activities, and explain specifically how the buddy system is to be used at all times, beginning with the fitting and adjusting of equipment.
- Define snorkeling. Define snorkel swimming and diving; explain the function, fit, and selection of mask, fins, and snorkel. How is a safety vest used in snorkeling, and when must it be worn?
Demonstrate use of mask and snorkel. In confined, shallow (waist-deep) water, demonstrate the use of the following:
- Defogging mask; equalizing pressure in mask, ears, and sinus cavities.
- Snorkel, including the clearing of water at surface and resuming free breathing without removing snorkel from mouth.
- Demonstrate use of swim fins. In confined, shallow (waist-deep) water, demonstrate use of swim fins: (NOTE: Requirements should first be completed using only fins, and then repeated while wearing mask and snorkel.)
- Fit and adjust fins to feet.
- Swim at the surface (10 meters) and underwater (3 meters) using the flutter kick.
- Control direction without using hands while swimming with fins at the surface and underwater.
- Perform deepwater demonstrations. In confined, deep water (maximum 12 feet), demonstrate:
- Proper techniques for entering and exiting the water while wearing snorkeling equipment.
- Headfirst and feetfirst surface dives, including proper body position for safe ascent and descent.
- Recover objects. Using mask, fins, and snorkel, you and a buddy swim in a confined area of clear water 8-12 feet deep that has a firm bottom:
- Locate and recover from the bottom an object weighing approximately 10 pounds.
- Locate and recover from the bottom an object approximately the size of an automobile ignition key.
- Explain snorkeling preparation and precautions. Explain what special preparation, training, and precautions are required for open-water diving; include survival skills. Understand and explain ascent and descent hazards of diving. Demonstrate knowledge of the diving environment in which you are to learn and practice. Explain the environmental factors that affect snorkeling. Discuss the special precautions for each of the following aquatic environments: ocean, stream, lake.
- Discuss submerged-related factors. Explain pressure, buoyancy, and submerged optics and acoustics related to snorkel swimming and diving.
- Discuss submersion effects; CPR. Discuss the effects of submersion in water on the body and how to handle potentially dangerous situations. What is cardiopulmonary resuscitation and under what circumstances should it be used?
- Explain hyperventilation. Understand and explain hyperventilation.
- Explain hypothermia. Understand and explain hypothermia.
- Demonstrate diver's signs and signals. Explain and demonstrate divers' signs and signals, both audible and visual, for use at the surface and under water. Set out a divers' flag and explain its function. Explain the use of equipment markings.
Click one to vote:
Did you like it?
Or hate it?
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Boys
M Porter on Fundraising
Debora Neiland on Gopher Guts song
-Mary-> on Tarzan song
Janet Bauer on Billboard song
Matt on Rooster Fight game
Travis Lundy on /content/song/grand_old_duke_of_york-477.asp
Adam on AoL Duty to God
First Years Scout Leader on Camp Letter joke
Brian L on Arrow of Light
Sandra C on Spoof Merit BadgesMore Comments...