Kayaking BSA Award
This Award is meant for Boy Scouts.
- Before fulfilling the following requirements, successfully complete the BSA Swimmer test.
- Do the following:
- Describe various types of kayaks and how they differ in design, materials, and purpose.
- Name the parts of the kayak you are using for this exercise.
- Demonstrate how to choose an appropriately sized kayak paddle and how to position your hands.
- Do the following:
- Tell what precautions must be taken for a safe trip afloat.
- Demonstrate how to select and properly fit a PFD.
- Explain the importance of safety equipment such as PFDs, air bags, grab loops, and helmets.
- Demonstrate your ability to aid yourself and others in the event of a capsize:
- Capsize your kayak in water at least seven feet deep, perform a wet exit if necessary, and swim the boat to shore.
- With assistance, if needed, ready the capsized craft for use.
- Show how to approach a capsized paddler in your kayak and tow him to shore.
- While upright in your kayak, right a capsized kayak, empty it of water, and assist the paddler aboard without returning to shore.
- As a solo paddler, demonstrate the following:
- Entering and launching a kayak from shore or dock.
- Landing or docking and exiting a kayak.
- Forward stroke
- Sweep stroke
- Reverse sweep
- Draw stroke
- Rudder stroke
- Back stroke
- As a solo paddler, do the following:
- Paddle forward in a reasonably straight line.
- Move the kayak sideways to the right and to the left.
- Pivot 360 degrees to the right and left.
- Stop the kayak.
Click one to vote:
Did you like it?
Or hate it?
Mar 02, 2013 - link
Can you wear the Kayaking Bsa Award on the back of your merit badge sash?Mar 02, 2013 - Scouter Paul
Yes, the Kayaking BSA patch can be worn on the back of the merit badge sash. See page 31 of the 2012 Guide to Awards and Insignia.
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Boys
David Marks on /boy-scouts/meritbadges/game-design-merit-badge.asp
Ken Zabel on /blog/1317.asp
Ray Rogers on Red Skelton minute
Scouter Paul on /blog/1317.asp
Lee Manevitch on /blog/1317.asp
Mark Coleman on AoL Duty to God
Trace on Den Chief award
Daniel W Liang on Scout Law
Kimberly on Winter Camping Tips
Tresa on Scouting 4 FoodMore Comments...