- Are pot handles turned inward when cooking?
- Do you store food and household cleaners separately?
- Are knives and other sharp items out of children’s reach?
- Do you wipe or pick up spilled water, grease or food peelings immediately?
- Do you dry your hands before handling an electrical appliance?
- Do your kitchen appliances have the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) designation?
- Do you keep kitchen cabinets, doors and drawers closed?
- Do you use microwave-safe containers for microwave cooking?
- Are potholders, dishtowels and spice racks away from the stove so they won't catch fire?
- Do you keep a pot lid near the stove to smother flames from a grease fire?
- If there are small children in your home, have you installed child-resistant safety latches on all cabinets?
- Do you have plenty of light at the stove; sink and countertop work areas, especially where you cut food?
- Does your tub or shower have a slip-resistant surface to stand on?
- Are grab bars securely fastened?
- Are medicines clearly labeled?
- Do you clean out the medicine chest regularly in order to get rid of expired medication?
- Is the toilet seat and lid kept down when not in use?
- Are medicines in child-resistant containers?
- Are there safety latches on all drawers or cabinets?
- Are hair dryers and other appliances stored away from sink, tub and toilet?
- Are medicines, cosmetics, sprays, cleaners, mouthwash, hair care products, etc., out of children's reach?
- Do you store breakable bottles and jars where they can't be shattered?
- Are space heaters kept away from curtains and flammable materials?
- Are cosmetics and perfumes stored out of a child's reach?
- Is there a lamp or light switch within reach of bed?
- Are children's beds placed away from all windows?
- Can you reach your clothes in the closet and the dresser?
- Are insect sprays and weed killers in a locked area?
- Are gasoline and car products in a locked storage cabinet?
- Are oily rags and cleaning cloths in a metal receptacle?
- Are flammable products in safety cans and stored separately in a wellventilated storage area?
- Are all cleaners and paint products in their original containers?
- Do you check the area around the car before you back it out of the garage?
- Do you keep the garage door open whenever you run the car engine inside the garage?
- Do you inspect your garage door regularly for broken or worn parts?
- Are stairways kept clear and uncluttered?
- Are stairs and hallways well lit?
- Are rugs and runners skid-proof?
- Are rugs and carpets free of curled edges, worn spots and rips?
- Are curtain cords and shade pulls kept out of children's reach?
- Are guards or screens installed around fireplaces, radiators, hot pipes, and wood-burning stoves?
- Are smoke detectors installed on each level?
- Are smoke detector batteries changed every six months and checked monthly?
- Are sharp edges of furniture cushioned with corner guards or other materials?
- Do you keep the instruction manuals for your appliances so you can check if something goes wrong?
- Do you know where the emergency shutoffs are located for electrical, gas and water service?
- Are plastic bags kept out of a child's reach?
- Is the thermostat on the water heater set to 120 F?
- Do you have an emergency exit plan to use in case of fire?
- Does your family practice using this emergency exit plan?
- Is a list of emergency phone numbers, (police, fire, doctor, poison control) next to each phone?
- Are unused electrical outlets covered with safety covers?
- Are windows secured with window locks?
- Are all stairways in good condition, with no broken, sagging or sloping steps?
- Are there sturdy handrails or banisters by all steps and stairs?
- Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?
- Are poisonous plants kept out of children's reach?
- Do you have Syrup of Ipecac in you home for use as directed in poisoning emergencies?
- Do you have a sturdy stool that you can use to reach high cupboards and shelves?
- Can you walk across every room in your home without detouring around furniture?
- Repairing clothes (sewing on buttons, patching holes, stitching ripped seams)
- Taking care of clothes by hanging / folding them and washing them regularly
- Buying clothes on sale
- Buying clothes we NEED versus buying clothes we WANT
|Toys, sports equipment, etc.|
- Selling gently used items at one of the “go-round” stores
- Buying gently used items at one of the “go-round” stores
- Visiting garage sales for cleats, pants, etc.
- Taking care of our toys and equipment, putting it away and not leaving it at the park or a friend’s house
(movies, sporting events, etc.)
- Going to the video store on the bargain day
- Going to matinees instead of evening movies
- Limiting the food purchases at the movies
- Limiting the food and paraphernalia purchases at sporting events
- Attending sporting events sponsored by Scouts or other kid-friendly organizations
- Buying only what is on the grocery list
- Clipping coupons for things we buy often
- Buying non-perishable foods in bulk
- Limiting the number of times we eat out per week
- Plan a fun “eating out” event at home (home-made pizza, picnic on a blanket, ...)
- Plan an enjoyable night in a restaurant – look forward to it and save for it rather than acting on impulse
- Plan your errands so that you can drive to the same area only once
- Keep the car in good repair changing the oil often to prevent more major repairs
- When weather permits, wash the car as a family event
- Take a vacation at home. Do the things someone might do if they were visiting your city.
- Find airfare bargains using the Internet
- Find hotel bargains using the Internet