One scout stands on each pedestal, holding an end of the rope.
On the leader's signal, each scout tries to cause the other to step off his pedestal or let go of the rope, by pulling or pushing the rope.
Instead of a rope and pedestals, two scouts can stand on a plank laid across the two pedestals. Then, they try to get the other to step off by:
- hold a 2 foot stick or dowel with one hand and twist it around
- hold a short rope with a loop tied in each end
- hold each others right hand, then left hand
- push open palm of right hand against opponent's open palm
- place one hand open flat in the center of opponent's chest
- link pinkie fingers of right hand