Merit Badge: Law
Requirements for the Law merit badge:
- Define "law." Tell some of its sources. Describe functions it serves.
- Discuss two of the following:
- The Justinian Code, The Code of Hammurabi, and the Magna Carta.
- The development of the jury system.
- Two famous trials in history.
- Tell what civil law is; tell what criminal law is. Tell the main differences between them. Give examples of each.
- Ask five people (not more than one from your immediate family) about the role of law enforcement officers in our society. Discuss their answers with them. Go to a law enforcement officer in your neighborhood and ask him about his responsibilities and duties. Report your findings.
- Tell about several laws that were passed to protect the consumer and the seller. Tell about several organizations that provide help to consumers and sellers.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Attend a session of a civil or criminal court. Write 250 words or more on what you saw.
- Plan and conduct a mock trial with your troop or school class. After the trial is over, discuss it with the group.
- Arrange a visit with a lawyer who works for a business, bank, title company, or government agency. Find out his or her duties and responsibilities. Report what you learned.
- Explain the requirements for becoming a lawyer in your state. Describe how judges are selected in your state.
- Make a list of 15 jobs which deal with some aspect of law or legal processes. Tell which you prefer. Why?
- Tell where people can go to obtain the help of a lawyer if they are unable to pay for one. Tell what you can do if you can afford a lawyer but do not know of any in your area.
- Discuss with your counselor the importance of TWO of the following areas of the law that have recently emerged and are still developing:
- Environmental law
- Computers and the Internet
- Copyright and the Internet
- Space travel and satellites orbiting the earth
- Privacy law
- International law
Click one to vote:
Did you like it?
Or hate it?
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Boys
Jane on Award Search
myia on Everybodys Nerves song
liz fredeen on Award Search
Jane on Lion Scouts
Camden on Firing Squad skit
Scouter Paul on Lion Scouts
Scouter Paul on Worship 1
Jake Paul on Worship 1
misti goetzinger on Lion Scouts
Sara on Arrow of LightMore Comments...