Cub Scouts Reading and Writing Academics Pin and Belt Loop
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Requirements for the Reading and Writing Belt Loop
Complete these three requirements:
- Visit a library and get your own library card. Check out and return a book.
- Write a letter or a short story. Read it to your den or family.
- Keep a diary of your activities for one week. Read it to your den or family.
Requirements for the Reading and Writing Pin
Earn the belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Locate and identify the following parts of a book: title, author, spine, cover, table of contents, and index.
- Read a book to a child or group of children.
- Participate in a school or community organized reading program.
- Explain the differences in a biography, autobiography, fiction, and nonfiction books to your parent or den leader.
- Create a bookmark that you can use, or design a book cover.
- Read an article from a newspaper or magazine. This can be done on the computer. Report about what you read to an adult.
- Write a poem and read it to a family member.
- Write a short report about something of interest to you. Read your report to your den or family.
- Read several jokes and riddles. Create two of your own and share them with your den or family.
- Write a commercial, song, or jingle for some product. Perform it for your den or family
- Create your own alphabet, writing system, or code and explain it to your den or pack.
- Learn about another writing system such as petroglyphs or Egyptian hieroglyphs. Do your best to draw some of these symbols. Report what you learned to your den or family.
Reading and Writing Online Resources
Reading and Writing Worksheet
Click one to vote:
Did you like it?
Or hate it?
Contest - Ask a Question - Add Content
This site is not officially associated with the Boy Scouts of America
Find more Scouting Resources at www.BoyScoutTrail.com
Follow Me, Boys
Scouter Paul on Zombie Chipmunks story
Tommy Tye on Zombie Chipmunks story
Lou Schrader on Rain song
Teresa Mullins on Cub Scouts
Kim Jurgens on Aviation m.b.
Angelina Meyers on Red Skelton minute
John Mitchell on Stamp Collecting MB
Ann MacPhail on PB&J Song
Yukon Jack on James West award
Jonas Peter Chisale on Handshake MinuteMore Comments...