This Activity is meant for Boy Scouts.
This Activity should be done Outside.
Each patrol finds a recipe, then gathers all the ingredients needed, cooks the recipe, and serves it to the judge.
A volunteer is needed to purchase all the ingredients.
Each patrol needs to bring a stove, pot, and matches – or they are provided.
A map is needed of the wide area with locations marked where volunteers can be found waiting with ingredients.
Each patrol explores each location, looking for a recipe. When they find a recipe, they can then go back to other locations and ask for specific amounts of ingredients.
You need to decide if a patrol must stay together or can divide into buddy pairs.Getting Ready:
At kitchen area for each patrol, have pocketknife, baggie, 3 sheets aluminum foil, and paper plate.
Also have a backpacking stove and matches for each patrol OR
have one large cooking fire already burning for all to cook on.Items to distribute
to 8 volunteers (all of one item with a single person):
Recipe and Goal:
- Copies of recipe
- Block of cheese from which they cut a slice
- Loaf of bread, unsliced is better so they need to bring knife and get two slices
- Package of ham, unsliced is better so they need to cut a slice
- 2 sticks of butter, from which they cut as much as they want
- 1 dozen eggs – 1 egg per patrol
- Container of salt, bottle of hand sanitizer (this volunteer should track which patrols use sanitizer and report to judge at end)
Make a toasted Egg McMuffin
- Make sure your hands are clean before handling food
- Make mini-skillet out of foil in which to cook egg.
- Cook 1 egg
- Heat one slice of ham
- Melt one slice of cheese
- Toast two pieces of bread
- Assemble egg, meat, cheese, bread into sandwich and serve
The judge and/or his helper award points for first, second, third patrol that deliver the sandwich, as well as points for taste, presentation, and safe cooking practices.